Friday, January 30, 2009

Thoughts on the day

Since I have been "sidelined" for a week with an infection, I was forced to think about "things" again. It is hard to be positive all the time and certain events make you realize that reality must be addressed eventually. It is just the opposite of a newly wed and honeymoon. People always joke about it and say when the honeymoon is over, and reality hits them..... Well you can choose to live in a world where you choose not to address reality but those choices eventually don't work and you have to face reality when the "honeymoon" is over. These things include funeral situations and things like caskets and where and when, burial plots, obituaries, etc.

You know a lot of people do it early and call it being proactive. In fact Julie's parents set a great example for us and have paid for and planned all those events for both of them because they are very practical and he wants to be sure that none of the kids are left with the expenses involved with their funerals and plots. This is looked at positively so even though I feel that I have been granted an extension in life, I also feel that I should take a lesson from that example. So we did take some time to address some of those issues and when my folks came down we resolved a couple of them. I now have a place reserved with my family for burial and some other things started. While this is good, it also takes a toll on you when you know your time is narrowed closer to a known time frame. Everyone always mentions "we all are going to go, we just don't know when and that is actually true for me too. So it is no different really, but for some reason, I find myself being affected by it anyway.

This happened a few days ago when I was having a repeat of Sunday's episode of short breath and pain in my chest. I was glad we had a scheduled appointment with Dr. Te the next day and so far every follow-up test that he has requested to verify if anything has changed has come back negative. So it looks like it more of "pain management" issue than anything new or that we missed except for the infection. Now that would have been very bad in itself, so I am glad that the Lord put the roadblocks on place and I feel the breath and pain episodes that made me go to the E.R. were also his way of ensuring that I did not have a load of chemo that kills the antibodies put into my system when I needed all the antibodies i can get to fight the infection. Not Smart. So I believe the Lord was watching over me again (in spite of myself and my weaknesses).

Anyway when I had my little moment of depression as I moved into (what I now call) my funeral mode, I got inspired by my good friend Sharon again and she made a great suggestion. She first gave me permission to finish my depression and then (I hope she won't mind) she gave me the following directive. She is a real task master anyway, but I wanted to share it with you because I think it is well spoken...

(quote from her email)
So tomorrow I want you to experience 5 moments...moments that you wish you could capture forever and are grateful that you were given the chance to experience them. Perhaps it will be your daughter's giggle, the sunrise, the taste of the best malt in the world (Iceberg's chocolate banana). Then I want to hear what the are tomorrow night!

It worked very well as I decided I was going to do it. I focused on positive things and had a much better day. So since it worked so well for me and I thought it was a good idea for everybody to try (you can start with less than 5 if that is too much). It can have a a positive effect on anyone and that is what I am trying to achieve. Maintain a positive attitude as much as I can. So far I think I have done pretty well, but I do have some moments.

3 comments:

Judy said...

Soooo...Jim, what were your 5 moments? I'm curious. Will you share??

Jim Cook said...

Sure. Here is my response to Sharon:
1) Katie came in early this morning (before any one esle was awake) and was excited to show me a magic trick that she learned from her book of tricks she got for Christmas. I told her (signed to her) she needed to be real quiet and let Mom sleep. I almost told her to wait until we all woke up and I could see her better too (we were in the dark in the bedroom with only my computer and the TV for a little light. But then I thought of the messages each response would send so I decided to let her know I was happy to have her show me. It was a card trick and then she came back 5 minutes later with a penny in a cup trick.
The thing that made me proud and happy was thinking of the number of times I let the other things like sleep and noise and whatnot, keep me from caring that I might have stiffeld some creative part of the other kids personality or sent them the wrong message, but with a second chance at being a Dad i can learn and I can be taught.
2) I went out last night and saw that the dishes needed to be loaded and turned on so I took a few minutes to do that and it was only a few minutes while I reheated my leftover spaghetti. When Julie finally got up to come out and do the dishes, they were already done so she made me breakfast instead. I am sure you can figure that one out
3) I was driving Justin to school..... That made me happy (I think you know there too).
4) I was also amazed today at how comfortable I was going back for the follow-up "echo" because I had to drive myself. Julie found the kids scheduling made it impossible for her to take me too and yesterday, I was not thinking I would be able to do that, but with a lot of faith and prayers and some hydrocodone, I was able to resolve it all and drive myself.
5) Hal Gregerson wrote on my wall and told me he appreciated "my blog" again and especially my honesty. I am not sure what he meant by that, but I will just revel in the fact that this wonderful man considers me a friend.

Sharon said...

Okay, so now I am going to take my own advice and experience "5 Moments" and will report back to you. Thanks again for being a great example to me!