Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Early morning thought time

Waiting to drive Justin to school this morning, and feeling so much better as the patch brings the pain back under control yesterday, I thought about how I often get caught in the "I need you now Lord ... oh never mind it is ok" syndrome. For the past three months I (my wife) has been changing my fentanyl patch every three days to help mitigate my pain. At first I was extremely aware of and grateful for the relief it provided me and I was well aware of how important it was to follow the rules and change it. This is a lot like when we are in need of the Lord's help and blessings for the times when things go bad and we are sad or hurt or depressed or scared. We pray hard and he is there. Then he blesses us and gives us what "He" knows to be the best for us (not always what we think is the best for us or what we ask for). Most people then begin to slowly forget (gratitude and to continue to pray). We begin to see things as resolving themselves or fixed because of something we do or we just plain don't acknowledge his hand in our lives the way we did before (sometimes it happens in days and weeks). As we forget to acknowledge his hand, he patiently watches as we distance ourselves from his loving care and soon we find ourselves truly on our own. At this point in the analogy I enjoyed my new found strength and ability to do external things (like go places and party) so much, I began to forget what exactly was providing that for me. In this case it was the fentanyl patch that quietly provided my pain relief in the "back" ground (that is where the patch is... on my back..... get it....never mind) and as I was caught up in the good times I neglected to pay attention to it like I should. After 2 days more than I should have changed it, it was basically doing nothing for me and I awoke Sunday morning with a bad morning experience I shared earlier.

It still did not strike me as to the real problem until I returned to the source of my original help (the infamous ER room). Again this is like us not recognizing the source of our help from the Lord right away either. When things get bad enough, we fall on our knees and say Lord help me I am falling..... oh never mind I am caught on the nail....(for those of you familiar with the story). Then finally at the ER room, the pieces start to come back into focus. We call home and have Justin check on the calendar and see when we changed the patch last. Sure enough two days over due. I am caught back into awareness of my faults and weaknesses and find myself fully aware of my dependence on the Lord and in this case my Fentanyl patch. Update: patch was administered in the hospital and one day later the pain is gone again and I am just like I was before (except hopefully a little smarter and a lot more humbled .... again....).

What is it going to take?????

1 comment:

John said...

Hi Jim, I'm not usually up so early, but couldn't sleep and had not been able to read your blog since before I went on my 3300 mile journey to Dallas and back.

I've told you about my situation and things are still tough for me in that regard...still, I'm grateful for the Lord's tender mercies too. Without them, my problems would completely overwhelm me and I would be unable to keep trying each day.

Don't know what to do next, but will just keep moving my feet and hoping to be worthy of the Lord's guiding them where they should go.

Love ya, pal. You and your family are in my every prayer.