Saturday, January 31, 2009

Nicole is amazing and Dad gets to brag

My Daughter Nicole:

I am sure it will embarrass her a lot, but as a proud father of a very talented daughter it is my right (and responsibility) to do whatever I can in both of those areas. (Now that she is 21, as we found out earlier... she knows how to party....lol) As some of you might know my Nicole (going to school at UVU and did an internship in Washington D.C. last year) is a Sign Language Interpreter. There are 2 levels of Certification for the State of Utah and it basically dictates some of the places and events you can be asked to interpret for. It also affects how much you can charge for your services.

Last year (actually almost a year and a half ago) she passed her level 1 certification while she was still in the middle of her 2 year training program at SLCC. Very few people ever do this. Now, as she is signing up for the classes at UVU this semester to help her prepare for the Level 2 certification, she decides to take the test for it now. This is common practice because most people take the five part test and pass a couple of the parts and then go back, study up on their weak areas and take those again. I don't know everyone, but all the interpreter people that I have ever talked to say they have never heard of anyone passing the Level 2 certification test on the first try (all 5 parts). Nicole didn't even know it was possible, but she did it. All five parts on her first try.



Way to go Nicole..... She deserves a big hi-five and super shout out. I apologize ahead of time for embarrassing her (she will not be happy with me for a few weeks now and make me promise to never do this again) but I deserve a little bragging rights don't I?????? After all she should be happy that I have a chance to congratulate her in this life right.... (cancer card). That is a little inside joke with my family.

6 comments:

Judy said...

wooohooooooo - way to go Nicole! Jim you have every right to brag about her accomplishments. What an amazing girl. As her parents you and Julie are to be commended as well. After all, you have much to do with her success! Good on all of you (oh, that was funny, I typed "goon" on all of you - better fix that)!

Jim Cook said...

Goon works for me too.....

John said...

I agree with Judy and am glad you shared her success with your blog buddies. Did you know that Stefanie is at SLCC and just starting her work in learning sign language.

Isn't it amazing how many parallels we find in our lives and the lives of our children?

Thanks again for sharing. I shared some of my experiences with you and on my Dallas trip with the High Priest Group today (it was my turn to give the presidency lesson) and also in my testimony in Sacrament Meeting. You are such an important person in my life. I hope you know this.

Uncle John

Anonymous said...

Nicole is amazing. It's true. What else can I say. Brag on her all you like. I think it's very appropriate.

Nicole said...

*loudly clears throat*... Dad. You and I need to have a little chat... :)

Jim Cook said...

.....(sheepishly)... knew that one was coming.....lol