Sunday, January 18, 2009

Tender Mercies - Tiny Miracles

More friends come to visit.... picture proof in a few minutes. Thanks to all the friends that have accepted the challenge of squeezing in a visit while I am feeling good. It helps to have my "good chemo week" be extended. It has been a very satisfying couple of days (golf helps a lot....lol i just wish I had been able to actually swing the club....). This morning, I have been lying awake contemplating some of the discussions I had with my dear friend Dan and his family. His wife Susan related a neat story of a miracle that happened to a friend of hers (and chemo), and again when the conversation contains that much spiritual feeling, it is easy to be touched and affected by it. But then as we were talking some more, we decided that there is another aspect to God's love that is often overlooked (I find myself included in this mistake). Some people call them "tiny miracles" or some of the brethren in conference have also referred to them as "tender mercies". These experiences very often are discounted or discarded as coincidence or "just happened" type scenarios. But as I live longer (day by day is starting to feel more week by week for me now) and I am re-focused on things that matter, I have become acutely aware that those coincidences, very rarely are that (coincidences).

The problem with most of our lives is that by the time we have a chance to recognize something like a tiny miracle that may have happened to us, the unimportant things (that is just what I will call them now) in our lives take over and we aren't able to really recognize it for what it was or is. Also (like my dear friend Sharon said in her visit yesterday) often we have to wait till we get around the next corner before we are able to look back and comprehend (even a little) what the importance of the experience was to us in the first place. As I thought about the events of the past few days and took some time this morning to review some of the things that I experienced, I realized how many of the day to day events had actually been a tiny miracle that we all just accept as part of daily living.

In a way this is what happens to us in listening to the spirit as well. So often the spirit tries to guide us and give us direction, but we are so bombarded with "life" in general and with "lesser important" aspects of living that we start to not recognize the spirit when it does try and help us. At these times we miss out on great learning or growing opportunities or we sometimes even make mistakes that we wouldn't have to make at all. But as my dad was famous for saying "Jim.... did you learn anything from that?" ...... and I realize once again it was an experience I learned from so it wasn't a waste at all. Don't you just love finding out how smart your parents really were. If only we knew. Now if only my kids would think that about their dad too.....lol.

Ok random thoughts for my "4:00 am - can't sleep cause I got too much on my mind - time frame of a Sunday morning......."

Pictures will follow as soon as I download them. I will also tell about Justin's "all - county" orchestra concert last night. Thanks to my oxygen tank and a nice little pain pill, I was able to sit through the entire concert and watch my talented kid perform. I am excited to tell you about that. So stay tuned.....and thanks for listening this morning......

3 comments:

Judy said...

Hello my bro - it's a holiday so my schedule is a little off. I dropped in for "brunch" with you instead of lunch. Yum!

Anonymous said...

I just simply agree with what you've said about tiny miracles. I'm too often guilty of classifying them as coincidences.

John said...

Well said, Jim.