Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Coming out of the "chemo" hibernation.....

Julie and I have decided that we are going to take the recommendation of several of the doctors we have seen and change our attitude towards "isolation". Also in talking with Josh H. a little about his wife again (I really appreciate her inspiration to me) that I need to get out a little more from now on. Up till now, we have been very careful (and without knowing how I would handle chemo, it was the right thing to do) and I have not gone out in public hardly at all. I haven't even gone to church.

But we are going to slowly change that somewhat and I am going to get out more. Dr. Rawson (in Rapid City) tried to help us understand that way of thinking in the very first discussion, but it is hard to not want to totally protect yourself. He explained that with certain basic precautions, I can still live a "life" and not become a total recluse. So no "reclusing" for this guy any more. We will be careful and avoid sickness where ever possible and washing hands will become a total obsession, but I have decided to come out......of my chemo closet (actually just when my antibodies are built back up after treatment so it will still be somewhat limited).

So if you have any really cool events that you think I should attend (like the Sugar Bowl or actually any bowl game, the NBA championship, departmental Christmas party or whatever.....), just send an e-mail to my secretary and we will see if I can work it into my new schedule ...lol.

Just thought I would share that with you today. I am still up for visitors occasionally as well. Just call first and make sure it is not the bad week of chemo (when I try and be a little more careful or am too tired). Thanks to everyone who has been over to see me in between the bad weeks, and especially to my home teacher in the hearing ward (Bro. Jennings) who has seen to it that they bring the sacrament to me every week. I really appreciate all the efforts made in my behalf.

I love you all very much.

(I doubt I will be going to the Sugar Bowl, but I will be watching for Alma and the others that are.... GO UTES......)

1 comment:

Myrna said...

Ok...so when are you coming to Sandy? I would be more than happy to fix you one of my "special" spaghetti dinners...now isn't that tempting??? oh come on, you know it's tempting!! Glad to hear that you are going to be getting out more...it's good to be out in the sunshine. keep on hanging in there Jim...