Sunday, January 11, 2009

More Sunday morning thoughts

I really enjoyed my rocking chair this morning. When the sun came up through the window today it seemed to be an especially bright color of white instead of yellow. I thought it seemed appropriate for Sunday and made me think about my blessings again. Particularly how lucky I am to have this third week after Chemo when I can enjoy some decent days and feel a little bit normal for a few days. So here is a little recap of some neat highlights.

It has been a marvelous week for me. Several people came and visited. I really enjoyed their visits including Cory and James from my old work. Then Friday when we just all went to lunch after my doctors it brought back a lot of memories (including Marc being too busy to join us....lol... we missed you Marc).

My uncle John (yes he is my uncle and we have always been close since we are the same age.)

stopped by on his way through to Mesa and we had a great chat too. I just love visitors on this third week. I am going to have to start scheduling more of them in advance. I truly do love people and the good spirits they bring here. I hope that in some small way I can lift their spirits like they do mine.

One of my friends from the City's golf course came over on New Year's eve to bring some of his mom's special cake for me. He knew I had cancer but wasn't aware it was lung cancer. We have been trying to get him to quit smoking for years now, and when he realized what I had it caught him a little bit by surprise and really shook him. He said he had been planning on quitting for a New Years' resolution. I told him if he needed any help to just think about what I was going through and it may help him quit. Well apparently it did more than that. When he stopped by this week to pick up his mom's pan, he said it really upset him for days and he couldn't sleep and would wake up in the night (if he ever got to sleep) with someone telling him he had cancer and was going to die and everything. I felt bad about that and I am glad that finally stopped for him but I told him it was one of the best things he could have done for me was to tell me he had no problem with the smoking now. I was ecstatic and I hope it keeps that way for him. I decided that if I can just help him to have a better, longer, happier life that I will feel truly blessed again to be able to use this challenge I have to help others focus on the important things. As my good friend Josh says.... What a blessing.

Katie had won a reward certificate from school for that Pirates Cove pizza place and yesterday mom told her she could take her two twin friends (also partially deaf) with her for lunch. At the last minute I decided there was absolutely no reason that I couldn't go with them so I did. It was so fun to feel somewhat normal. I ordered a salad bar and had some of Julie's breadsticks. They let us sit in this little enclosed area with a table for a small group in a little cove like area and it was just us in there which I really appreciated. So except for the fact that I was in my pajama bottoms, wearing slippers, with an oxygen tank wheeled in front of me, and an oxygen tube in my nose, a hat covering a bald head, and a coat on the whole time (it was a little cold inside), I felt just as normal as everyone else......lol..... Only a few kids stared at me, but it is funny how people don't know how to react to a cancer patient. I almost find it comical sometimes because I used to be one of those who didn't react well so I don't fault them. You don't know whether to look or smile or acknowledge their presence or what. Just a little note to you all. At least for myself I don't mind when someone smiles at me and nods or says hello. But it is amusing when people go out of their way to try and not even look. I assume they are trying not to call attention to the person and that is fine too I guess. Anyway I just saw that a lot yesterday. But bottom line, as for the outing it was tremendously fun. I love getting out and making memories now with my kids.

For breakfast this morning when Katie said the blessing on the food she thanked Heavenly Father for making the cancer get stopped and then she prayed that he would make the cancer go away. I decided I am going to go with her on that one. She has a lot of faith too and I want to hang on her faith for a while. She made french toast and set the table all by herself for us. I just love her. (Here she is with me at the deaf ward).


The rest of the week was full of good phone calls, lots of supportive e-mails and even a chance to reconnect with my cheerleading partner Darcy from High School. Talk about a good week. I sure love you all and I am really appreciating all of you more and more.

I hope you all receive the blessings in store for you in return for all you are doing for me.

4 comments:

kfaerber said...

Looking good, Jim. Love hearing about your outings and your optimistic spirit. Send us some pictures of you in the hat and coat. Sounds like you are in disguise!

Love you!

David and Kimberly Faerber

Anonymous said...

Hi. My name is Zach. I am a close friend of your daughter Nicole, and she was showing me your blog. I liked it a lot and thought it was interesting. Now I want to continue reading about your experience, but time is out now. So I'm going to write it down and visit it in my spare time and comment again later. So get used to me. :)

Zach

Judy said...

Hello my bro!

I just sat down for my "soul food" -aka your blog. Each day I take my lunch with me to the computer where I feast on your entries. Your words are always so much more satisfying than anything I've warmed in the micro (and your menu is fat free - yipeeeee). I can go back for seconds and not feel guilty! Jim, you are better than Chuck A Rama AND Golden Corral put together!! Love you!

John said...

Hey Jim, My long journey to Texas ended last Thursday night. Like you, I love being with my sweetheart and it has been great to be home the last few days. Thanks for welcoming me to your home and helping me on my trip...and with staying focused on what really matters...love ya pal.