Monday, January 12, 2009

Status update

Lots of changes and some will mess up plans I was making. On the other hand, it is going to open some opportunities that weren't there before. First the really good news. Dr. Te decided to postpone the chemo treatment this week until after the throat surgery on the 21st. So the good news is that it will give me another week and a half of feeling great. The bad news is that I had several things scheduled around the next good "third week" of chemo and it is all changed. So I now have to go back to the re-schedule mode but I will figure out how to make it work somehow. I am so excited to have another week of feeling good. I enjoyed last week so much. In fact last night after our Sunday dinner with Josh and Kirby, when they sat down to play games, I actually felt good enough to play with them. I have to admit, I was pretty worn out this morning and when we went to IV therapy for the tests, I fell asleep for about a half hour, but it was so worth it.

So as it stands now, the surgery is scheduled on the 21st and the next chemo treatment is scheduled for Thurs. the 29th. Sorry Judy, but let's figure out something. And Russ we may have to work the presentations around just a little bit if we can. I hope we have time.

As for my thoughts on all this. I am being blessed beyond belief and yesterday I was able to sit through all of church and even talked with a lot of people after the meeting. It was wonderful to be able to do it two weeks in a row. I now have set a new goal. I let Julie in on it last night and her reaction was positive so I just have to work hard. My next goal is to get doing well enough in the next month to set up a trip to Salt Lake. I know that doesn't sound like a lot, but for me it will be next to amazing and I am determined to do it. So get ready because I know I can do it and I am going to. I will keep you posted. In the meantime, I think that the Lord is giving me a chance to enjoy my family even more than last week. I plan on thinking of lots of good things to do with them this week amd next until my surgery.

I am so blessed sometimes I can't believe it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey there again Bro. Cook. It's me Zach. So I read all of Oct. and most of Nov. (the whole web page basically) And I must say... WOW. October didn't seem to give you a break, but at the same time Heavenly Father never left you alone. I felt really impressed about the stories where the spirit whispered to you to "Just stand up" and I thought about how that could apply to me, which brings me to my next point. I have this new years resolution thing I decided to do. I call it "burying my masks". What I'm doing, I'm taking a simple white mask and writing on it things that I do - like bad habits I guess - stuff that hide who I really am or really should be, then later I'm going to bury it, kind of following the example of the Anti-Nephi-Lehis in the Book of Mormon where I got the idea from. It's supposed to be a visual reminder to me of the things I've committed myself to change on. Anyway, The mask of Complaining for example is one, the one I'm getting at. After I read your story, I couldn't help but notice how ridiculous I am sometimes with things I complain about, things that are so minuscule and petty. Your story is a good reminder to me and another motivation. I just wish I didn't have to be reminded from other's difficult circumstances.

The other thing I was - or am - impressed about, is your family. I really don't know what to say. Your wife has got to be superwoman or a close relative. All the things she does, it's a task just saying them. I admire how much y'all watch out for and love each other. It's heartwarming.

I really hope you can make your goal of getting to Salt Lake. I'd like to help if there's anything I can do, please let me know.

Zach

GobbyFriend said...

Enjoy the good week, and as always you are in our prayers. Good luck with your surgery