Wednesday, December 10, 2008

What is a "port -a- cath"

Some of you may be wondering what a "port a cath" is. I have pictures.

Instead of an IV everytime I go in, they surgically put a "main line" IV from my shoulder straight into one of my arteries in my chest. This allows them to both drip things like chemo, blood, saline, etc into me without having to get an IV in my arm, but it also allows them to draw blood out through the same line.


They simply "access" the port which is a small little needle (feels like when I prick my finger for my blood sugar tests" and hook it up. Then they can leave it for a few days if I am having lots of tests or take it out if it will be while and access it again when it is needed. Amazing and I love it.


This is what it looks like after it is all in place......

No comments: