Thursday, October 9, 2008

Going home from hospital (part 1)

Thurs. Oct 9th Through all this Dr. Te had been working with me to try and get me out of the hospital as soon as I was ready but I think I pushed him to let me go earlier than was prudent. Today they sent me home to try it out. They spent a long time going over everything with Julie and I am so glad she was there because there was so much happening that I would never have remembered anything and she wrote everything she could down and took notes all the time. The most important thing to them was to try and allow me to control my medication as necessary. In other words they wanted me to try and relieve the pain as much as possible but not OD or anything so Julie had to become an expert on several types of pain medications in order for them to let me go home. I thought I was good before with a couple of hydrocodone pills before. They gave me a fentinil patch which is just a patch you put on like trying to quit smoking but it time releases some good drugs (generic morpheine) into you slowly for pain. Works real good for the most part but occasionally the pain really flares up and the patch isn’t enough so they also gave me some generic morphine in liquid form to start with and then we work off it as the pain got less from surgery and everything. Then I had several other pain medication options and about 10 different pills for (it seemed like) everything under the sun.

No comments: