Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Chest drain

Tues Oct 7th Dr Woodbury monitored me after the surgery and said everything looked good, but he was still concerned about my need to drain the lung area regularly. He had put a temporary tube in place to drain the heart and lung, but now he talked to us about putting a “semi-permanent” tube into the lung cavity so that we could drain the lung ourselves at home, instead of making multiple trips to the hospital. Later that day, they took me back into surgery and did the procedure. This wasn’t nearly as bad as my earlier surgery, and recovery was much easier. I do remember going down for this one although they did put me out for a while. So now I have a little tube with a cap on it hanging out of the left side of my chest (about 6 inches below the arm pit). It has been working very well, but they did caution that that area was critical to monitor closely because I could not afford to get an infection. Some of my guys from St. George City came to visit me at the hospital. It was great to see them.

No comments: