Sunday, October 5, 2008

Checked in to hospital Day 1

Sun Oct 5th Dr. Woodbury called Julie about 4:30 a.m., and told her that the surgery had gone well, and that as soon as the fluid drained, my heart started beating normally again. I spent the morning in ICU, where Josh and Julie both came to visit. Katie was very upset because they would not let her in to see me. Justin was sweet, and stayed with her in the ICU waiting room. When Josh came to visit, I must have looked pretty bad because I have never seen Josh break down and cry until that day. He did, both in the ICU and later, when he was leaving the hospital. Julie told me later that when she saw me in the bed in the ICU, it really scared her. I had no color in my face, and was hooked up to so many wires and monitors she had a hard time finding a place to touch my hand. In fact she said I reminded her of her Grandpa Edwards in his casket at his funeral. I had no idea I was that bad at the time, but have come to realize just how close to crossing over the veil I really was. But the Lord kept me here instead. I do remember the doctor telling me when they were first starting, that they were going to give me something that would help me forget about what they were going to do, and it worked. Julie told me about spending time in ICU (I don’t remember it at all). She also told me that they did one of those trachea things where they stick the big tube down your throat during the surgery so I could breathe, and I don’t remember that at all. She said that when she talked to me after the surgery I was adamant that they did the surgery by going down through my throat, and wouldn’t be convinced otherwise. I don’t even remember it, or talking to her about that (she finds that somewhat humorous actually that I have no recollection of something so traumatic). They moved me out of ICU and into a regular room at about 1:30 pm.

No comments: