Monday, October 13, 2008

Port-a-Cath (permanent IV)

Mon Oct 13th As they have been doing a lot of blood work and constantly poking my arms for blood tests and they also had to move an IV from one place to another (not to mention that the original IV from my first visit had to be moved as well (as it started to be painful) they found that all my veins were collapsing and they couldn’t ever get a good IV inserted. They eventually talked to us about a PIC (more internal IV in the arm) and finally they suggested and we agreed to have something called a “port-a-cath” (port for short) which is where they surgically insert a tube just under the skin in my right shoulder / chest area and then this tube feeds down into one of my main arteries. Then when ever they need to give me something they would typically do an IV for they just plug into this “ready made” IV. Because it goes right into that main blood vessel, they can even use it to “draw” blood for tests from the same tube. It is really amazing technology. So we did that one last surgery and even when they tried to get me ready for it downstairs it took three of their best doctors in radiology working together to find a place they could get one last IV in halfway up the inside of my right arm. It took them three tries in other places first. This will also be extremely useful for the chemo treatments because they can use it instead an IV every time to administer the chemo. It is much easier and a lot less painful as well.

Note: everyday I have to go over to the old hospital to the cancer radiation treatment center and so when they are scheduled they get one of the small transport vans to come get me and they pack me all up, wheel me down into the van (I am sure I looked funny all wrapped up in the wheelchair, toting my oxygen, dragging my catheter, but to be honest…. I didn’t even care). The drive over in the back of that van was quite a trip too. Sometimes the “kid” drivers I don’t think realized how bad you bounce around in the back of those vans. I was just glad they had me belted and strapped in tight and I usually made sure I took good medication and drained my chest every time before I went or I almost refused to go. That was an adventure too.

No comments: