Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Fundraiser in Rapid City

While this was going on at the hospital, the City of Rapid City had a fundraiser for me.
Fundraiser in Rapid (Oct 14th)
Kevin (my boss in Rapid City) had asked me if it was ok with me, if they did a fundraiser barbeque for me there and I said sure. I was expecting a little lunch thing and a few people that knew me well to come and share a burger and donate something to my cause, but I was a little bit overwhelmed when I found out what they did. The Civic Center donated the barbecue stuff from the concessions, a lot of people brought stuff to donate for the lunch, and they advertised with a couple of announcements using that famous golf picture with the buffalo on my door. They had everyone sign the “huge” card and a lot of people apparently came and got some lunch. When they collected everything up, over 150 people came and they collected a substantial amount of money which they then mailed to me in a check. I was completely humbled and overwhelmed. I had no idea that that many people even knew who I was (let alone cared enough to support me like that). The Mayor had told me (when they were recruiting me) that I would never meet any better people than I would find in Rapid City and I could not agree more. They have shown me a different side to a city organization that I had never seen before and nearly every single person that wished me well from Rapid says that they will “keep me in their prayers”. What a powerful thing and I know that I am being blessed because of these good people as well. It was truly humbling and much more than I expected.

No comments: