Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Blood Clot in arm

Tues Oct 14th While they were doing all this, my left hand began to swell up to the size of a small grapefruit. It was pretty funny looking but scary at the same time. It even hurt somewhat so we began to be worried. They did some ultrasound testing on my arm and identified a blood clot in my left arm so they had to start doing all testing on my right arm. They put me on kumedin to try and thin my blood. This again was a concern because of the potential risk blood clots immediately pose on top of all the other things I am going through. When they were going to drain the fluid from my chest area every day, I would usually tell them to wait until Julie came over because she had been trained by the “home hospice” people how to do this special drain. They trained her after we got released from the hospital the first time and it was a new technology thing that most of the nurses at the hospital had never done before. I had one nurse though who was sure she could do it. I tried to help walk her through the steps as best as I knew and one thing I stressed to her was not to lose the little white cap from the end of “my tube” when you took it off because we were told they couldn’t just replace the cap. It was part of a complete kit (the rest of which was inside my body) and it was very expensive if they had to break open another kit just for the cap ($900). Well she didn’t pay attention or something and ended up accidentally throwing it into the garbage and when we couldn’t find it at first I kind of went a little bit nuts. (It was really weird for me to do this but I did) and when Julie got there she calmed me down and they eventually got everything straightened out and it was fine, but I kind of “lost it” a little that morning.

No comments: