Thursday, February 12, 2009

Wish I could forget more

I forgot what a trip it is on chemo and I wish I could forget more. It has been so long since I had a "downer week" that I forgot how bad it can be. Actually I do remember how bad it can be from the first time, but I forgot what the next few times were like..... but I remember now. I think I laid in bed all morning and couldn't hardly move (didn't want to either) except to go into the next room for a few minutes and come back to bed. Julie asked me twice how I was doing and I didn't even answer, I just put a "thumbs down" in the air and went back to sleep. I have been able to control the nausea pretty much with the pills. It doesn't make it go away really, it just keeps me from following through. It's tough too because I have pains as well left over from surgery that need medicine to cope. The medicine I need for that usually suggests not to take it without food and food is almost impossible to get down even with the nausea pills. I also am supposed to be drinking lots of fluids to get the chemo out of my body as quick as I can and even drinking anything right now is a challenge.

Like I said, I forgot how much fun chemo can be. But I am not really complaining because I have first hand experience on how much worse it can be and was. I am grateful for medicine, doctors, friends, wives (well mostly mine), family, and most importantly my testimony of my savior. All of these have played a part in my reaction, readjustment, and recovery thus far from the cancer. While my cancer will never go away, I am grateful for the second chance (like I have expressed before) to reconnect and reestablish relationships as well as build new memories with many people friends. So to all of you who have helped me in any way, I wanted to thank you again. You all have been so good to me and supported me in anything I have needed. From the wonderful people in Rapid City, and my friends and family in Salt Lake, to the great people here in St. George and all my friends and relatives I have all over (most of them I found on "facebook" too). I thank each of you for what you have done and I hope and pray that your efforts will be rewarded as much as is possible.

I might not write a whole lot for a couple of days, but know that I love each and everyone of you and love to see your comments and get you e-mails too. Have a "great moment" for me too and share them with me if you want.

5 comments:

Brooke said...

Jim I had a great moment, my mom just forwarded me a story from Pres. Hinckley about Lessons he learned as a boy (http://www.ldsmag.com/youtube/090210hinckley.html) I watched and listened to a beautiful story of charity and love. The story touched me so that it brought a tear to my eye. Sometimes as an adult we forget what it feels like to have those warm fuzzy feelings of doing something truly good like those two young boys. It made me realize that I miss that feeling, and I am going to strive to have that feeling again. Like you I am thankful for my testimony and the people in my life.

Another favorite moment I have is when I can sit down and listen to some of my favorite songs. Right now I am listening to, "Stop this train" by John Mayer. If you get a second check it out! I love this song it brings me hope and comfort when I life gets in the way of living!!! Your family and friends all LOVE YOU Jim, good luck with the Chemo!!!

Judy said...

A great moment for me happened this morning. Sammy is out at the kitchen table coloring a Dora Valentine Picture. I'm in the den and can hear him sining along to the primary CD. He's singing "Jesus Wants Me for a Sunbeam" in the sweetest little voice. That boy is a sunbeam for his mamma! He brings warmth, light and joy to my life. Jim, you are a sunbeam for our mom. Now I understand, a little better, the kind of happiness that a cheerful son plants in his mothers heart!

Keep fighting Jim and know that you "shine for Him each day"!!

Jim Cook said...

At least my head is shining each day....lol

Judy said...

Very funny! I seem to remember Neal A. Maxwell making a funny comment in conference about his shining "cranium" or something (after his chemo). You are in great company Jim!

Wendy said...

I had a great moment for Valentines Dinner. Dining out is not as glamorous as it sounds. Last night Brent & I had a candle light dinner at home with soft music in the back ground. Brent cooked Steak and Salmon. We had quiet,peace and a wonderful moment. Being married forever is great!